Gmail SMTP settings
It is possible to use Gmail Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) and in this article, we will explain how this can be done.
Please note that to use this option you must have an active SynthesisVR Pro account (https://synthesisvr.com/pricing-plans/)
- First of all, you must have an existing Gmail account
- The next necessary step is to generate an app-specific password.
Google requires app-specific passwords for external services like Synthesis to be able to send emails on their behalf.
Please note that App Passwords can only be used with accounts that have 2-Step Verification turned on:
How to enable the 2-Step Verification on your Google account, you can find here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185839
- Now let’s create our App-specific password. You need to do the following:
- Go to your Google Account.
- Select Security.
- Under “Signing in to Google,” select App Passwords:
You may need to sign in. If you don’t have this option, it might be because:
- 2-Step Verification is not set up for your account.
- 2-Step Verification is only set up for security keys.
- Your account is through work, school, or other organization.
- You turned on Advanced Protection.
At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the Mail option and from the Select device dropdown, choose the device you’re using. Then click on the button Generate.
The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar:
- Now go to your Dashboard and navigate to Administration >> Advanced >> PRO (tab) >> Online & E-Mail settings >> SMTP Configuration:
- Fill your Gmail credentials in the popup, and please note that in the “SMTP Server Port field (Default: 25)” field you must set the value to 465: SSL and leave “Enable SSL Support” to “No”:
- Now you can put the previously created App password in the SMTP Password field:
Finally, you can test your settings when you click on the “Send me a test email” button under your SMTP Settings to test your configuration.
For assistance with any of the settings, please open us a ticket: firstname.lastname@example.org